Porto Gioia Tauro, agreement for the establishment of the employment agency

Photo of author

By John

An information meeting was held in the premises of the Port System Authority of the Southern Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas to promote the establishment of the Port Labor Agency of Gioia Tauro srl. «Sitting at the same table – we read in a statement from the Authority – the president of the Port System Authority of the Southern Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas, Andrea Agostinelli, the representatives of the two terminal operators, (MCT and AUTOMAR), the owners of the port companies pursuant to art. 16 L. 84/94 and the representatives of the trade unions”. The aim of the meeting, it is announced, «is to provide exhaustive clarifications regarding the opportunity to transform the Port Agency into a port company regulated pursuant to art. 17 paragraph 5 of law 84/94. In Gioia Tauro the company to be established finds, in fact, the foundation to follow up on the Gioia Tauro Port Agency, the port agency established in 2017, following the program agreement signed on 27 July 2016 between the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Economic Development, the Ministry of Labor and Social Policies, the Region, Invitalia and the Port System Authority of the southern Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas, for the administration of work and for the professional retraining of those workers made redundant by port companies authorized to handle containers. Following a series of extensions over the years, which determined – we read further – its duration at seventy-two months and in consideration, therefore, of the expiry of its term of validity, expected at the end of January 2024, the body led by President Andrea Agostinelli, after having received the relevant authorization from the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, formally started the establishment procedure”.
Specifically, it should be noted, «it is a limited liability company whose object will be the supply of temporary work to port companies (art.16 and 18 of Law 84/94) through its staff which, at the time of its establishment, should consist of 77 units. With a share capital base of ten thousand euros, divided into shares between the parties, and expected annual operating expenses amounting to 114,600 euros, in the first experimental phase lasting 12 months from the start, the Port System Authority of Southern Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas will participate by subscribing 49 percent of the share capital, while the remaining 51 percent must be subscribed, in equal parts, by the authorized companies (articles 16 and 18 L. 84/94). At the end of the experimentation period, based on the provisions of current legislation on the matter, the Port System Authority will have to progressively dispose of its shares, which must be signed by the private party, considering the exclusively private nature of the Company”.
In the phase following the experimentation, the Port System Authority of the southern Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas will still maintain the guarantee function, through its presence within the management and administrative body.
Among the tasks carried out by the Agency will be regulated that of selecting and hiring temporary port workers, with permanent contracts, within the limits of the staffing defined by the Port System Authority and authorized by the supervisory Ministry. The Agency will also have the function of monitoring the training needs of the staff employed by it and of preparing the relevant training programs and plans and, last but not least, of starting the temporary worker at the rates approved by the Port System Authority itself. At the end of the meeting, we read, «there was a favorable openness among those present to the procedure for establishing the Port Labor Agency of Gioia Tauro srl».